Foreword: I will not swear in this article…
So, recently in Australia, there has been this debate where a couple going through IVF want the right to choose the sex of their next child. This couple already have 3 boys and really want a girl. They did have a little girl, but unfortunately she passed away.
My issue with this is this particular couple was pregnant with twin boys and ended up aborting them in their attempt to have a girl.
I understand and will fight for a woman’s right to choose what to do with their body, but in this instance it makes me sick. Going through IVF is an extremely emotional, heart wrenching, tough exercise, for anybody. But to hear of people going through IVF, having success and then aborting that success just irks me. There are so many people out there trying to get pregnant and may have trouble conceiving for whatever reason, or like me, be part of a same-sex couple and sometimes, there are some (one!) things you need a man for :p
This is one of those things!
While I completely ‘saw red’ on the weekend when I read this article, I have simmered down quite a bit, only in the fact that after reading the article and not just the headline, I can understand why the couple have done what they’ve done (re: wanting to choose the sex). I just feel it grossly unfair for others trying to persevere with something as invasive as IVF trying to get their wish to create and nurture life and reading about others throwing away such a fucking gift!
Sorry I lied… but it was only one swear word :p
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment